Friday, November 9, 2007

my favourite quote

is this, and I'm almost sure I'm rephrasing it, unintentionally...if there's anyone out there who knows WHO said it and exactly what his/her words were, do not hesitate to let me know in the comments.
-
There it goes:
'Do not compose anything unless its non-composing becomes a positive nuisance to you'
-
I've heard this like ages ago and am mesmerized by it eversince.
If I had to choose guidelines for writing, and basically, for any other creative stuff, this would definitely make into the top 3.
-
Why quoting this and why now?
-
I've found out the obvious: I've started writing Copper Moon because I felt the urge, the need to some inner change. Or, the change that was already taking place within, the boil of events inside me has simply brought up this, as a byproduct.
-
I still think it's a great idea and worth writing, but the drive is now at one of the lowest peak ever.
I might still be writing it anyhow.
We'll see.
-
Now, don't tell me not to give up. Because I'm not that easy come easy go type. If I stick my mind to doing something I'll be doing it. It would take a serious reason to deter me from my original plan. I...I'm just re-evaluating my reasons, you know.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Az én szállóigém a jó munkához idő kell.

SzélsőFa said...

Persze, de ezek nem függnek össze.
Az idő dolgozhat nekünk is, meg ellenünk is, ha elszállna az ihlet...
itt inkább arról van szó, hogy ha van az ihlet és valami nyomasztja az írót/művészt, akkor az a szerencsés, ha ki tudja írni/alkotni magából a feszültséget.

Ha viszont csak azért alkot, mert nincs jobb dolga, akkor abból nem feltétlenül születnek maradandó alkotások.

Ennek ellenére, én is rendszeresen résztveszek ún. short story versenyeken, ahol 250 szó a határ...itt az inspirációt egy-egy szó vagy kép adja, a aversenykiírástól függően, és nem feltétlenül belső kényszer.

Charles Gramlich said...

That is a good quote. But I don't know who said it. Have you tried googling it?

Steve Malley said...

That quote is probably as close as I could come to giving a reason why I write. It's more irritating not to!

Some days/weeks/months, can really make me question just *how* bad not writing would be... :)

SzélsőFa said...

Charles,

that's a great idea. I googled it once, to obtain no results, but I think I made the search words wrong. Now I tried in a different way and voila.
Gustav Holst! Whohooo!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustav_Holst

Steve Malley,

it's a curse and a blessing. as Jason said in one of his works: a blessing dressed up as curse.
thanks for visiting me.

Unknown said...

Igen, de ha sokat dolgozol valamin, eltökélt vagy.

Danette Haworth said...

Yes, I like that quote. It reminds me of Gloria Steinem's quote: "Writing is the only thing that, when I do it, I don't feel I should be doing something else."

Vesper said...

Great quote. It expresses what we all feel: we write because we just have to do it.

You could work on other stories that "speak" to you more right now and return to the Copper Moon later, when you'll feel the urge again. No need to feel as if you're giving up on it.

SzélsőFa said...

Ropi,

igen, azt hiszem az 'eltökéltség' rámillik.

Danette,

that's a good one, too, although I like Holst's much better.

Vesper,

oh yes, I think this not only sounds reasonable, this is just what I was planning to do :)
Thank you for your advice.
I think people who write come accross situations like this and this is a suitable method to cope with it.

Posol'stvo the Medved said...

The only thing that comes to mind isn't a quote so much as a description in a book by Richard Bach, author of Jonathan Livingston Seagull, about the writing of that book. I don't remember the exact wording, but he basically describes his muse taking him by the throat and refusing to let him do anything else until the book was written.

I've had days like that for sure. Much to my boss's chagrin.

SzélsőFa said...

That's quite a good and vivid description, Posolxstvo!