Friday, November 25, 2011

the first few feedbacks


the first two chapters of my novel called 'Copper Moon' were published on a website of a publishing house. they are having a challenge for a month, i guess: each day a new novel (the first 10 thousand characters of it) are published and the readers are encouraged to read, comment and criticize the excerpts.

the publishing house does not really relies on the results of the public - they have their own editors to evaluate the writings.
those who are found good by the editors will get published, either on paper or on e-book, or both.
-
well, today was my day and so far i have a ratio of 1 (positive) to 3 (negative) comments.
mind you, those that disliked my novel were phrasing their opinion quite matter-of-factly, so nothing intrusive or personal. the most important failures of my novel, according to these people, are: the unexplainable time and event shifts; overflow of poetic description, which they found boring; and finally they found it hard to follow, they thought it was obscure and fuzzy.
-
the one person who liked it said my sentences are gorgeous and that she liked my style.
-
i guess both parties have just points.
-
go figure.
-
and i'm just learning the way to react and accept these reactions.
not easy, not easy.
-
one moment i'm all 'my writing sucks and these people have pointed out my flaws so correctly....', while in another moment i'm seeking potential ways of improvement, while yet in another moment i'm all 'what the hell do these people know about my protagonist, anyway?', and in yet another again: 'jeez, it's not enough if i know a lot about my mc, i have to make other people know more about her in the right and proper way.'
-
happy thanksgiving for those who celebrate it!

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

A lot of folks don't like poetic writing. I don't know why. To me it is the best kind.

SzélsőFa said...

thanks Charles, for your words.
i've read all the entries and found that most of those who are popular with the readers belong to genres and styles that i would hardly if ever, normally read.
maybe the scope and literal taste of these readers is quite different from mine. perhaps it's not the right publishing house for me.
this is my first-ever try at any publishing house, though.