Friday, December 19, 2014

the gastro story

There is this short story, totalling to about 4000 words, that I have been writing since late August.
It's been a long time, but as per usual, I have my good reasons for not finishing ever since.
(I had to finish articles for the monthly magazines I work for, I even had a translation job in between)

And then there are the usual bad reasons...
Waiting for inspiration, waiting for something else.
At times I didn't even bother to open the file for days or at times, for a week or two.
Sometimes I came accross ideas, facts, interesting aspects, and I slap my forehead and thank myself for having waited for such a wonderful component of the story. I even praise myself saying 'how good it was to NOT write the story... see? This one piece of idea/fact/aspect was just what you needed'
But I think it is the other way around.
Since I have the urge to finish the story (do I, really?) anything that rings that particular bell reminds me of the story.
Do I classify as a procastrinator?
And also, if a story is not coming out by itself, is it worth writing?

2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I find that the amount of effort put in to writing a story does not necessarily imply that it's better. However, Some of my best stories did take a lot of effort.

SzélsőFa said...

That is exactly what I am afraid of, Charles. :(
I keep returning to it, writing a couple of lines here and there...
Sometimes half a page, or two pages, but that is the maximum.
And with other writings, sometimes I just write 3 pages in like one go.

Maybe I am not yet ready to write this particular story...or the storyline is not good enough...

I want it finished, because I am getting bored of it :( but I definitely do not want to bore my readers... :(