Thursday, March 12, 2009

Homework for April

The followings were among the homework we had to finish before our April meeting - my notes are in italics.
Task One:
Complete three sentences starting with 'what if'. I guess this exercise helps gathering new ideas, finding a nice start for a plot perhaps. Strange as it may seem but I'm new to the terminology of writing. If I misuse any word, please let me know so that I can use it correctly.
We had to write our threes right during the meeting and our homework was to answer each of those three questions in one sentence.
Hear my three 'what if'-s:
1-What if everyone in a park suddenly fell asleep?
2-What if someone, working in a car repair shop fixed a tank (a sturdy army machine) out of the parts the shop normally uses?
3-What if a family found out that they have to move into a foreing country?
You turn - if you have time and willingness, that is, of course.
Finish my 'what if'-s with your answers. One sentence per each question, please.
I've written my three answers to these, and will be willing to give them away within a couple of days.
But I'd love to see your versions, too.
Let's play, if you're in the mood for a little game.

5 comments:

strugglingwriter said...

1-What if everyone in a park suddenly fell asleep? Everyone in the park falls asleep, allowing the ducks to take over the park (and all the sleeping people's possessions).

2-What if someone, working in a car repair shop fixed a tank (a sturdy army machine) out of the parts the shop normally uses? The person is able to create a workable tank, only instead of shooting bullets, it makes the person shot more "peaceful"

3-What if a family found out that they have to move into a foreing country? The family packs their bags and the day they are to move, one of the parents is presented with an opportunity of a lifetime, one that requires them to stay behind.

These are just my silly attempts. It's a good exercise, though.

Charles Gramlich said...

This kind of thing can be fun. I actually wrote an article about doing this many years ago. It helps to get the creative juices flowing.

Here's my three:

What if it began to rain inside my house.

What if I found a dog/cat hybrid.

What if I had been born rich instead of so good looking?

SzélsőFa said...

Thanks Paul, for completing my whatifs. I'll be revealing my version, but'll be probably after Vesper has given her shot, too.

Charles,
those are good whatifs, too. Thanks for playing along.

Vesper said...

Thanks for the confidence! :-)
We've spent the first half of the weekend in the emergency room, but I'm more reassured now since all the test were fine. It seems it is not such an uncommon consequence of this gastro-intestinal virus and that my daughter needs to take some medication and be patient...

Anyway, I hope to try to answer your what ifs today.. :-)

Vesper said...

These are my answers. It was really fun! :-)

1-What if everyone in a park suddenly fell asleep?

This happens once a year in this park, which is really an open-air museum of sculpture, and, as the people fall asleep, the statues awake to live a life of their own, to feed on the sleeping people’s dreams and even take the place of one or two of these people when the spell is over…


2-What if someone, working in a car repair shop fixed a tank (a sturdy army machine) out of the parts the shop normally uses?

Amazed at his unexpected abilities, he starts repairing more and more complex and unusual things, until he tries to “fix” a human being…

3-What if a family found out that they have to move into a foreing country?

The news of the father’s overseas transfer brings havoc or salvation into the family: the wife and the teenage daughter have to leave their respective lover and boyfriend behind, while the teenage son sees in this an opportunity to free himself from the dangerous people with whom he’d got involved…

I'm looking forward to your answers! :-)