Tuesday, May 15, 2012

in the distance



I often listened to Mariza, sometimes the same song on and on again, while writing Copper Moon.
I am now fairly familiar with some of the main features that made the writing inappropriate for publishing.
-
Some writers are able to look at their own writing as someone else's, from a distance, but for me, creating this well-wanted distance took about one and a half years.
I know see that at some particular parts of the novel, my words simply do not, or not completely convey the background, the meaning I intended to say.
Sometimes main points and reasons are missing.
I mean, I make little of these explanations avaiable for the reader.
Yet some readers do prefer obscure writing and like to discover the story on their own.
-
Strangely enough, some of the actions in the story have the opposite mistake. They are described to the most minute detail, leaving not really much to imagination.
Now I see all those mistakes.
Are those really mistakes?
-
I do not consider myself broken, although the music now makes me sad.
-
At the same time it makes me proud of what I accomplished with having written Copper Moon.
It may take a while to polish to let it shine.
-
Cheers,

4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Getting that editorial distance is hard as can be. But it's certainly neccessary.

SzélsőFa said...

i see its importance now. oh, one sometimes learns things the hard way.
thank you Charles for your contribution!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Editing is so difficult. I'm editing my novel now, and I relate to what you're saying, it can be so difficult to find the balance between leaving things unsaid and describing too much. Good luck!

SzélsőFa said...

oh Juliet,
i am so sorry for not replying earlier.
thank you for your kind words and i hope your editing goes well and the novel is about to get published by now.