Friday, September 7, 2012

in the distance 2

where i stand today, i see the mistakes, or most of them, of Copper Moon - and also the merits, if any, of the novel.
from where i stand, it is not easy to see the merits, but there surely are some.
you know, the time spent between today and the novel's writing has grown large enough.
i see Copper Moon as a writing.
it kind of hurts.
-
having taken part in a writers' course in March-April 2012, and having been part of a writers' supportive community eversince, i have been given lots of great insights and useful advices, either directly or indirectly.
but all these information made me weaker. i can no longer step up, raise my head and pronounce in a clear and definite voice that yes i am a writer.
i am just someone who used to write.
these days i just can not write.
i know so many rules yet i know i don't know much at all.
i felt much better when i used to write just by instinct.
-
-


4 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

when you begin to learn the technical details of writing, if almost always knocks you for a loop. You begin to see flaws that you hadn't before. It can be depressing but you have to try and work through it. Because on the other side you will be a better writer for it. It may not be quite as much fun to write, but it will become more satisfying. At least that's what I have found.

SzélsőFa said...

thank you Charles ofr sharing this experience.
seeing the flaws, or most of the flaws is already a kind of a shock to the face.
and while my brain knows that if i want to write better, to make myself understood more, i have to undergo this process; my heart still feels the shock.

my reaction is twofold:
1. i try to get back to my roots as much as possible (by reading and relaxing more)
2. i try to write my next short story strictly according to technical guidelines. i'll just have to see where this will take me.

Vesper said...

It's a strange feeling when I look at something I've written a long while ago and I've distanced myself enough from it so that it feels as if it has been written by someone else.
But it's a good thing because then, like a surgeon, not like a mother, you can be objective with your "child". You can make the changes that are needed for it to be the best it can be.
The "rules" though... when you become familiar enough with them I think they become part of the instinct. You won't think of them as rules anymore. Besides, rules are there to be broken... :-)

SzélsőFa said...

well, yes, i do except rules becoming a certain instinct - like most grammar rules for example.
maybe i mourn because i lost a child in getting a distance from my writing.
i already consider potential ways of surgery :)