Friday, October 16, 2015

Mixed emotions

(I am too lazy to browse around older posts to see whether this topic was covered or not, but either way...)
(And I feel kind of, no, kind of really stupid) to keep bragging about the very same novel I wrote in 2010. Every new post about the Copper Moon is a proof that I wrote the first draft and did nothing significant else with that particular writing ever since. It drowns me a bit. Copper Moon should have been edited and printed and sold out. Not in its present form, mind you, I know it's far from perfect...)
....
So one of these days I realized that it still lingers within me, although I don't think of being capable of adding another paragraph or page without the reader noticing the difference.
Five years passed and I changed.
I might not want to convey the very same message that was important for me back in 2010.
I might want to shift focus.
I might have to give up on it totally...if the non~writing/editing/polishing of it keeps drowning me.
....


2 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I know for myself if I don't work on a project for a long time I just can't find the feeling I once had for it and just move onto a new thing. A book length manuscript though, needs to get out there and take its chances in the world. Hard to know whether revision would serve it well at this point.

SzélsőFa said...

Oh, Ye Olde Faithful Charles.
(I hope you don't mind me saying that... I am ever so thankful for you for not giving up on me.)
~
So, the manuscript is actually over 50,000 words or 320,000 characters. It is a size of a short(ish) novel.
~
I revised, and corrected grammar and logical hiccups here and there. To my best knowledge, that is.
~
But I feel the problems are more complex. There is not a real story arch, the time layers are difficult (if not impossible) to follow, and there are at least two or three, almost separate type of story telling, to the point of certain parts being melancholic and/or poetic, while others matching the tools of a horror story instead. Some parts, events are told in a realistic manner, others notsomuch.
I don't know if my writing fits as 'magical realism' or this is just a mixture that actually is not a real genre.
~
See?
...