Friday, August 17, 2007

to post or not to post

I don't write a single line these days...no wonder - the muse is repelled by the dust and upheaval we have in our house.
I am planning to continue whenever things have calmed down to an acceptable level. I guess it will be mid-September. Or early November, eeek.
Can the take a break that long without the risk of getting out of the habit of writing?
I think if there's something I have to write, I will write.
Now I don't have - but I'm not sorry about that.
My body's aching with hard work around the house and my mind is tired, too.
So, I think I'm taking a break from this blog for an undefined length of time, with the strong desire to return whenever possible.
The first job I'll be doing is outlining. My story is in need of one. You may think how stupid it is to start writing anything without a plot, a planned start and finish of events.
Well, that's just how it happened.
In the meantime I visit sites of writers and potential writers and learn a lot.

8 comments:

Bernita said...

Many writers work by the seat of their pants.

SzélsőFa said...

another term I had to look up :)
but, but, I have found may interesting sited during my google research.
This novella is partly based on my own experiences so I gather I do write it on the seat of my pants.

(am I using it right?)

Bernita said...

Writers oten describe themselves as either "plotters" - those who carefully outline their story line before beginning - or "pansters," who construct as they go along on inspiration or instinct, by feel, "by the seat of their pants."
Either - or both - methods work.

SzélsőFa said...

oh, I see now. Thanks for making it clear, Bernita. I often learn from your comments.
*pansters* - heehee. I find the term funny.

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

I've never heard that before...pantsters...hmmm...I guess I'm a panster too, but it sounds an aweful lot like a hamster and I definitely don't want to be one of those. They sit in plastic cages, watching the world go by and never having the joy of interacting with it. Also, they go round and round on a wheel and never figure out that they aren't getting anywhere. I think I'll stick with panster.

Karen

Bernita said...

Sorry I shoved an idiom at you.
Funny how every specialty, every industry, develops its own dialect/slang/argot.
Took me a while too, to figure out wotthehell they were talking about with the acrynoms and references.

SzélsőFa said...

ooh-ooh, Karen, this little simile of yours between a panster and a confined hamster seems a bit frightening to me... fortunately, unlike hamsters, panster-writers have their contorl over their fate, mobility and vision...
and there is where hope lies...

Bernita,
I don't mind being forced to learn some new things/expressions/terms, provided that the subject is interesting for me (like writing definitely is) and I am able/skilled enough to understand (well...time will tell ;-P)

I like this little conversation that's been formed over here - thank you, ladies!

Juan Gabriel Llorca said...

It is difficult to walk the Path of the Householder and the OPath of the Artist at the same time.