Tuesday, October 30, 2007

like it or not

I have just written a small piece for a contest at Evil Editor, and published it on my other blog. The limit was 200 words and I had to choose the protagonist among the range of well-known, frightening characters as it was Halloween-based.
Contestants have chosen Dracula, Frankenstein, or even Dick Cheney :)
-----
My hero was Carrie.
I did not have a really high opinion of what I had done, but the comments were positive. I think I made a decent job, but I'm sure I might have been able to do better.
Anyway, as I indicated on that post, I have chosen Carrie b/c I've always felt sympathy for her.
-----
Question is:
does the flowing of the story, the strength of writing have anything to do with the relationship between the writer and the protagonist?
If the writer despises him/her, will it make writing less enjoyable? How does sympathy towards your character(s) come into the picture?
If you feel for them, understand AND appreciate their action/feelings does it directly translate into a better story?
I think I have some answers already, but I'm seeking your opinion as well.

16 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I had a nice long post that was lost, but lets see if I can restate.

For a short story, I don't have to like a character I'm writing about, even if it's the protagonist. I would have a problem writing a whole novel about a protagonist I didn't like and respect, though.

I think any emotion you feel for the characters will translate into the story and make it stronger. Even if it's dislike. I just wouldn't want to live with a main character I disliked for a whole book.

SzélsőFa said...

Charles,

I'm sorry for loosing that post. Blogger can be such a pain sometimes....

I see your points and agree!

I too, tend to think that writing a book means living with its characters and yes, really disagreeable characters might do harm to the writer.

It depends on the bond between the writer and the characters, but again, if the bond is loose,the writer can not have a great grip on them, I'm afraid.

Vesper said...

Why would you have a character that you dislike and despise? The vilain in the story might be dislikeable and despicable but in order to show that well to the reader - I think - you need to "love" him a little...

SzélsőFa said...

oh, yes Vesper, that's a good point. I don't think I could write about, in true depth about a character I dont like, OR understand a little bit. A bit of sympathy, understanding of motives...

If there is no love I am not close to the character.
and watching someone from far far away does NOT help describing him/her completely.

Bernita said...

Hate can be as perceptive as love.

SzélsőFa said...

Does not hate blind you?
Does hate allow one to see the other in its entirety? Does not hatred comes cleeked with prejudice and thus, partial blindness?

Or if it does, does it matter in writing?

Unknown said...

I got an English homework for the break to write the script of the story like which actor I would choose and so on... I will suck at it. I have no sense to do it.

Unknown said...

I haven1t read the story but I will do it during the weekend.

SzélsőFa said...

Ropi,

do you need help?

Unknown said...

no thanks

Bernita said...

No more than love does, with its own blindness and prejudices.

SzélsőFa said...

Oh, Bernita, it's one of those *hello hand, meet forehead* - moments for me.

But hear my version:

I think we refer to different meaning of the word 'love'.
You must have been thinking of the one that is blind and is so typical to a teenager for example, while I meant the one that accepts with failures, b/c sees the failures as well. The 'love' that nourishes and is not egoistic.

How about that?

Steve Malley said...

You don't have to like your protagonist, or your villain. But you should sympathize with them. To bring a character to life, you need to know how they see themselves and why they do what they do...

SzélsőFa said...

Thank you Steve for your visit.
Basically, those were the ideas about this issue in my head as well...
Now, I'm off to seeing you :)

Bernita said...

I was not speaking of "blind" hate either.

SzélsőFa said...

Bernita, you make me wonder, really.
Hatred that is not blindfolding him who feels it? How's that?