Wednesday, October 10, 2007

NaNoWriMo

it's everywhere.
I was thinking about writing my story during its course.
For clear reasons I can not join the NaNo, and I have doubts about being able to write that much about that idea I have.

My original plan was to write the story in 8-10 pages. What I have written so far is sligtly LESS than that limit, but the flow and type of things I wrote do not fit this short category. I think they would normally fit into a novel of 200-300 pages, but I think I don't have the drive and inspiration to go into it.
I am sad to admit that a reasonable plot is missing, too.
I enjoyed writing down all the things I have now and I don't know how to go on.
I'm thinking of adding some more twists and events to the original idea, plus making sure those lines I already have are enjoyable.
Let me explain: Sometimes I do writing exercises and I like when there's a word count limit. I usually write carelessly and end up with 2-1,5* as much words than eligible.
Cutting my words down is a great task.
All that needs to go fall out.
Only the most operative, most impressive, most conveying ones can remain.
That's one of the reasons I love these exercises.
So, by adding some more to the original plot, adding characters and events, I can, I might make it to like....100 pages. I fear writing it down.... Just the mere thought of writing 100 pages in my second language and creating something enjoyable frightens me.

11 comments:

Bernita said...

"Fear is the mind-killer" - from Dune.
Don't fear word count or page count. Just write.

SzélsőFa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SzélsőFa said...

Oh, yes, I need some encouragement, from time to time, thanks!

Speaking of sci-fis, fear is one of the most important element in the StarWars hexalogy (?) - how is it said, Bernita?
Anyway, I think it is Yoda who mentions that the presence of fear is a gate to evil or something like that.

Charles Gramlich said...

I've never tried this. I've thought about it but I usually have so many other committments and I don't want to short shrift it.

Unknown said...

Well, you have the drive but you may want to write too fast. I mean I read Steve Saylor's book called Rome and he needed 1 year to write an approximately 200 000 words long novel.

SzélsőFa said...

I can understand that, too, Charles and Ropinator.

Sometimes it is not appropriate to run through something. You know, deadlines are my friends, that's why I thought of it in the first place.

It is writing for the deadline (and keeping myself involved deeply in the story, which might MIGHT come out nice OR really BAF) vs. writing for the story (which might end up in not writing at all)

This is how I see the situation now.

SzélsőFa said...

for BAF, read 'BAD'

Unknown said...

Sok sikert anyway:P

SzélsőFa said...

Thanks Neked, Ropi :)

Anonymous said...

If you visit my blog this morning, I think you find a nice surprise. Thanks for your patience!

SzélsőFa said...

Whoo-hooo, I'm heading over to you!