Sunday, December 16, 2007

at the same time -UPDATED


Some great NEWS:
After having finished writing a less than 250-word piece into that contest, I returned to writing the longer version of Halo.

I'm so glad I've found that work again :)
-
You know I've started this blog to monitor my (not) writing a story.
Then I've decided to write the expansion of Halo before finishing my original idea.
Later still I've seen that photo and decided to write a shorty short for the competition as well.
-
Which meant I had three works in progress - and instead of writing a little bit of this here and a nother bit there, I wrote none, nowhere.
I was sad and confused, until I forced myself to finish that competition entry first.
As soon as I've finished that I was able to add some new paragraphs to the Halo as well...
-
Was this burst of energy due to the completed work?
Was it the Muse?
-

Question # 1.

What effect does an uncompleted task have on your working efficiency/enthusiasm/inspiration?
If you had an unfinished WIP, can you totally and wholeheartedly work on another?

Question # 2.

Can you write two different types of piece simultaneously?
UPDATE:
If I had to answer questions like these, I'd say:
Basically, I like to finish a job before getting started with another. I am quite an organized person.
But now it's about writing.
And when it comes to writing I don't have as much control.
It is a very interesting experience, though.
UPDATE # 2:
As a conclusion it seems that noone can write/work properly on two different things at the same time. As Billy pointed out, even Stephen King can not do that. I wonder about Chuck Norris, though....
Guys, I'm sorry for the totally ridiculous link. I was unable to resist :)

19 comments:

Master Goldrocks said...

here's my answer
Question # 1.
What effect does an uncompleted task have on your working efficiency/enthusiasm/inspiration?
If you had an unfinished WIP, can you totally and wholeheartedly work on another?
(A) No effect. But I have to finished it as my responsibilities. I will work well if I finished the thing.

Question # 2.

Can you write two different types of piece simultaneously?
(A) No, I can't, I have to focus on my job one by one.

SzélsőFa said...

Thank you Tutuk for your answer.
For more answer, check UPDATE on the original entry!

virtual nexus said...

...I've done a lot of open ended journaling, so am quite happy to have a number of things on the back burner until the impetus (or deadline) hits me to finish them; depending on the nature of what I'm doing.

When painting I tend to work broadly across the whole canvas before pulling it together - right brained approach.

Charles Gramlich said...

Usually when I have an unfinished task I can't relax until it's done. Although I can put it off and say I will begin it at such and such a date.

I've tried quite a few times to work on two writing projects at once and I just don't seem very capable of handling it.

Unknown said...

I like doing one thing in one time. I like finishing my task because you can't do anything with a semi-ready thing and it makes me contented if I did a good job.

SzélsőFa said...

Julie,

it is interesting to see that according to you the two different types of working are supported/explained by the sideness of one's brain. That which side of youtr brain you are using the most has so many impact on other aspects of your life as well... so why not?
Some tests have shown that I'm using both sides and that can explain why I am so disciplined in the normal world and why I am so disorganized while writing. who knows?
Thanks for your interesting food for thought, Julie!

Charles,

I agree. Handling two stories, escpecially if there is some connection between the two must be really really tough.
If the two stories however have nothing to do with each other...I think that makes simultaneous writing easier.

Ropi,

the content-factor is very very important. Smoetimes I finish a job just to be content with finishing it :)

Master Goldrocks said...

thanks for the correction, I'm very excited about it

Bernita said...

I also have to focus on the job at hand.

SzélsőFa said...

Tutuk,

uhm...I'm not sure what you mean... I'm sorry.

Bernita,

yes, it seems only so natural and internal a demand.

WH said...

I personally can't write two pieces at once, at least not works of any detail or length. I read the other day that Stephen King sometimes stops one work when he gets a new idea and comes back to finish # 1 later. Personally, I need the momentum.

SzélsőFa said...

Billy, thank you for your conribution.

Unknown said...

Some of my classmates made fun of me and Chuck Norris when I was named to that good looking competition at school.

SzélsőFa said...

:-)
And did you liked being called Chuck Norris?

Unknown said...

I wasn't called Chuck Norris but my classmates wrote mottos like: Chuck norris el tud számolni végtelenig 2x de Ropi 3x stb...

SzélsőFa said...

I think they called you so because they liked you.
:)
Have a Merry Christmas, Ropi!

Patry Francis said...

I have lots of unfinished work, but I completely put it out of my mind when I'm working on my current project. The story you're in must totally consume you.

Great question!

SzélsőFa said...

Patry Francis,

hm...interesting thought about the story I'm writing....
I'm sort of living it...perhaps...

Liane Spicer said...

I can have several writing projects going simultaneously if they are totally different from each other. Right now I'm putting finishing touches on a romantic suspense, while a memoir, a mainstream novel and a non-fiction project are ongoing.

SzélsőFa said...

Wordtryst,

*nods in silent acknowledgement*

It is so interesting to see that there are so many types of people and thought systems out there!
Thanks for dropping by!