Sunday, February 24, 2008

UPDATED - Contest time in blogland

Those, who frequent my other blog know about this.
But I'd like to spread the word here as well - there are two contests going on!
1. with Jason at The Clarity of Night:

Visit the fun and excitement HERE. Even if you do not enter yourself, the variety and quality of entries is amazing.
I've written my part and it is posted on Jason's site as well.
2. With Chris there's a four-part competition.
The entries are quite interesting over there, too!
I have written Parts One, Two and Three as well. I will publish it when I can, over on my other blog.
-
This is about the fifth contest I enter.
I don't mind how my work is ranked - usually all comments and notes on my writing are supportive and help me develop my style.
I find contests extremely useful.
I know I'm just a newbie among writers, but writing is not my profession - I write when I have to and what I have to.
I know I have a lot to learn, but these contests are great opportunities.
-
I recall the first contest I took part. It was Jason's Halo contest sometime around the Summer of 2007.
I recall how difficult it was to shave off my word count to meet the 250 limit.
I learned to set the needed apart from the redundant, the interesting from the mundane.
I am unsure whether I trimmed off the best or the worst words, but hey, I keep learning.
-
Do you like contests?
What profit do you make of them?
-
you know what?
Now as I've finished my pieces for those aforementined contests, I can return to Halo :))

12 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I used to enter contests all the time and sometimes still do. I found them very good ways to get experience. Now it's often a matter of lacking time to take part, but I do enjoy them.

SzélsőFa said...

Contests usually teach writers something don't they?

For example for me, the need to revise was/is not obvious.
Now I'm getting into the habit of it.
Slowly.
Slowly, but still...

Bernita said...

it's a very nice piece of writing, Szelsofa.

SzélsőFa said...

Thank you, Bernita.

Miladysa said...

I've never entered a writing one.

Perhaps I will sometime :-D

Good luck!

SzélsőFa said...

Provided you have the time, I think you should, Miladysa!
And if you are quick enough, you might enter this particular one as well. Please check the deadline.

Unknown said...

No, I don't like that competition because it can't be measured with units. I mean how good a composition is. For example I can say XY's composition is crappy while 99% of the population say it is perfect and if I am the judge it will be the last one.

SzélsőFa said...

There's truth behind your words, Ropi - no doubt about it.
Trouble is, this particular competition is so not about winning and/or competing the the usual sense.
People, be them authors or amateur writers simply write.
Other people simply read the story.
This activity is enjoyment.
Nothing else is needed.

Judgement is personal and influenced by personal preferences.

WH said...

I just don't get the time, szelsofa. I'd like to participate more, but I have a hard enough time fitting in blogging with my regular work :) Hope you have been well. (My link to your site never seems to work (I get an error message), so I have to click on your name in various responses to find my way back -:)

WH said...

OMG, I just checked my layout and I had a period inserted after "moon." I am a goof LOL

Lena said...

they are always a good opportunity to learn more, to meet new people and to improve yourself as well as compare your own level with the other good writers.
I never wanted to write professionally, still dont do this, it is all kind of a hobby, just makes me feel good :)

Good luck in contests :)

SzélsőFa said...

Billy,

yes, I can understand that. These days I also have so much work to do, that I can hardly follow up my fellow bloggers' writings.

Lena,

thanks for visiting one of my sites!
The reasons you mention are true advantages of contests. Thanks for the nice wishes!