Friday, February 1, 2008

where am I ?

This conversation (or similar words to the effect of it) actually took place today in the morning, while we were having breakfast.
I started it with some reference to my wip called Halo. I added some more lines the night before and I was satisfied with the going of writing itself.
---
(Son, aged 11) Do you know how your story will end?
(Me) I do.
(Son) And how?
(Me) I'm not going to tell you, let it be a surprise. You will all be able to read it one time.
(Son) Will I find the story be interesting?
(Husband) It's a story about a game, isn't it? It must be interesting.
(Son, recalls having seen the map for the game) Do you write about the game?
(Me) Well, it's a story about someone who plays this game.
(Son) Then it might well just as be boring.
(Me) Yes, that might very well be the case. I don't write it to write an interesting and exciting story. I want to see how the main caracter acts and feels.
(Husband/Son?) Oh, that might as well be quite boring...
(Me) Well, uhm, yes...You see, I don't mind. I just want to write it. I don't want to write a bestseller you know.
- - -
It seems that I have defined myself.
No, I was not delusioned to think my story would sell and would sell millions.
I just felt the need to write it, period.
- - -
I think most authors of modern-time bestsellers write about what they think readers are waiting for. Some of their work is great. Some, not so much. Cliches upon cliches.
And there are those authors who just write, no matter what. Some of their composition feels like crazy, inarticulated howling. Some are just fine. Some feels uneasy.
Some great. Simply great, because the story and/or the way it is told speaks to the reader.
- - -
Where do you stand?
Or, if you do not write, what authors do you feel sympathy for?
-
I'm around 3100-3300 words now.
Cheers!
-

10 comments:

Steve Malley said...

I guess I write to find out what happens.

Bestseller, obscurity, posthumous opinion, so much of that is just out of the writer's hands. I want to see the story through to its end, and I hope I tell the tale well enough that you do too...

WH said...

I do feel great sympathy for those who write because they feel they must, because they love words. That doesn't mean it's of any considerable merit, however, but this group has my respect. As for those who actually get published, I stand behind what guru Jeff Herman says: "Every year, thousands of books will get published that shouldn't, and millions will be rejected that should." I think quality literary fiction is being trampled by genre fiction (which I also love too, if the truth be told. I'm not elitist at all). Sex Scenes at Starbucks has a good post about books not being able to develop at a leisurely pace anymore. I agree. The "gatekeepers" for books are not just agents--they are agents' assistants, English majors straight out of school and assigned to the slushpile. Believe me, I've dealt with them.

Charles Gramlich said...

I tend to try and write what I like to read, and since I like to read fast paced stuff I try to make my stuff match that.

Steve's right about the bestsellerdom and fame and money. They're really outside the range of the writer's control.

SzélsőFa said...

Steve,

first of all, thank you for coming to my blog!
I tend to know what will happen, but the way sometimes is obscure....

Billy,

those are experiences that make me not want to turn into a professional writer...

Charles,

it would be quite strange if a writer wrote stuff s/he would definitely refuse to read - or do you think such things happen?

Miladysa said...

I am writing because I enjoy it and I suppose when there is no pleasure in it - I shall not write.

SzélsőFa said...

Miladysa, oh yes, I can hear you so well :)

Bernita said...

I too write what I would like to read, if I can only make it good enough.

Lisa said...

I write what needs to come out. If I try to think about anything other than that, it seems false.

SzélsőFa said...

Bernita,

I'm sure you can get as good as that. Or that you're already there.

Lisa,

absolutely.

Piercing The Veil said...

i write about what interests me... coupled with a consideration that it would also interest others... but i do not write to please others only ... i write to satisfy th need of sharing a thought oran idea hoping that it would be of help to others
but the primal concern is the satisfaction and bliss i get from it the same i get in sketching

nice question good day