Tuesday, April 8, 2008

statistics - UPDATED

Heehee, I'm done with the fight scene.
This is my first-ever fight scene. It is 555 words from the very beginning to the end.

I have never, ever written a fight scene before. The valuable notes of my fellow bloggers were of great help in starting and finishing it. I'd like to express my thanks to Bernita, Charles and both Steves.
First of all, I made a small draft which composed of the basic events.
It went something along this: after the first few chops, MC retreats, finds a suitable shelter to get into the back of the antagonist and with a surprise attack, gets his head off. Searches his clothing and finds a map inside. These words were the skeleton I used.
When actually writing the scene, I found MC retreating into a small cave where he found out that he might as well use a charm upon his enemy. This charm slowed down the enemy's movements. This idea came as strikingly new to me at that point....
Later on I recognized I was listening to Cole Porter's 'When they begin the beguine' taken from the film De-Lovely :)
Unintentionally, I imagined the antagonist following the swaying motion of that music...
-
The total words count is 4895. I'm not finished with it yet. There are at least 3 scenes left.
-
For the interested, here's the videoclip, taken directly from the movie. Thank you YouTube.
-
UPDATE: in the comments section, where upon Ropi's question I ponder about the importance of first things. You may add your own two cents about the importance of doing things (anything) 'first'.

11 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Congrats on your first fight scene. Personally, I love a good fight scene and write them whenever I can.

SzélsőFa said...

Thank you Charles.
I think that after some time I have to return and polish it. But at least there's something to polish.
And I think I know what purpose this fight scene has in the short story and will polish it to fit that purpose.

Unknown said...

why is a fight scene special? I don't want to sound rude but then everytime we could say it is my first essay, my first love scene, etc...

SzélsőFa said...

Ropi,


I'm not offended.
It was special for me, because I'm not a fighting type and because I don't read much fighting scenes either.
When I wrote my first poem that was also something I called 'first'. It definitely was not a good one I know now, but...it was the first different path I tread.
A first essay, a first love scene, yes those are all have their importance.
Like...
most people remember their first kiss... or the first job they had...the first time they broke their bones...first times are somehow special.

First occasions do mark a new path. A new direction you may or may not follow. They have a potential.

I hope I made it clear.

And I appreciate your question!
It was not stupid or rude.
It made me see things more clearly. Thanks!

Bernita said...

Good stuff!
I, too, like a good fight scene.
And you're right about having the bones to polish.
Firsts are liberating in their potential.

SzélsőFa said...

Bernita,

you interpreted my words about first things just as I meant them to be. Thank you!
As for polishing the scene: I will take my time off now and will return later on.

Steve Malley said...

WooHoo! Congratulations!!

SzélsőFa said...

Thanks, Steve!

Miladysa said...

Congratulations!

The book appears to be coming together well :-D

I think the 'first' anything is a baptism :-D

WH said...

Don't think I've ever written a fight scene. Sounds challenging.

SzélsőFa said...

Miladysa,

actually, it is NOT a book I'm writing. I don't have anything published at all. I'm just someone who writes.
But your kind words do matter :)

Billy,

you have not? wow.
in fact, I still have to get back on it and make it right - or better.