Monday, April 28, 2008

Fighting the obvious


I have not written anything in the past couple of days.
Good news? Bad ones? Definitely bad, for me. But the value of my non-writing to literature is a completely different question. You see, today I screened through the fight scene, only to find horrible sentences like this one:
Hail’s left foot moved forward and raised his sword above his own head.
-
Bitter moments, my dear. When I came accross things like this in my own writing I ask myself the obvious: why?
Plus: Why English, for God's sake?
-
I do want to finish it.
Part of me wants to finish it as soon as possible - to get over this. Part of me wishes to wait until I'm relaxed and able to concentrate on writing. I think I'm listening to the second half of me.
-
I made the photo on 27 April, 2008. It is an ancient Hungarian martial art called Baranta (all 'a'-s are pronounced like the vowel in the English word 'one'.)

6 comments:

Bernita said...

Ha!
Even those of us for whom English is our first language find holding-our-heads examples like that in our stuff from time to time.

Unknown said...

Well once I show that kind of show once but it was Ancient Roman.

Charles Gramlich said...

I know what you mean about finding those clunkers in your prose. I do it myself at times and it really bums me out. But at least you caught it and now you move on.

SzélsőFa said...

Bernita,

I thought so. Only native speakers notice such criminal actions against a language a 'bit' sooner than I do.

Ropi,

swords are quite useful weapons. I think that's the reason. I will write more about Baranta later on in my other blog.

Charles,

yes, I'm so glad I picked it out. I wish I could go on writing with the story, though.

Miladysa said...

Ditto Bernita :-D

Love the photograph.

Good luck with the editing!

SzélsőFa said...

Thank you Miladysa!